11 Oct Gluten Free ‘Mummy’ Jalapeño Poppers // Halloween Party Recipe
Y’all know me by now, right? I love holidays, I love hosting parties and I love food. I also love eating healthy and clean and my little boy, B, and I have to be gluten free, so I like to find find recipes and make them as healthy, clean as possible and, of course, gluten free! I was so inspired by a recipe I saw on The Hopeless Housewife for mummified jalapeño poppers [you can see the exact recipe here] that I knew I had to include it at my Halloween party! So, I added a few ingredients and made sure all of them were all-natural and poof! Here are some YUMMY, Gluten Free ‘Mummy’ Jalapeño Poppers!
Since I only do things Gluten Free around here, I decided to use a gluten free pizza crust from Udi’s that I picked up at Whole Foods. When working with GF breads, they typically fall apart much more easily than regular bread/dough, so instead of the bread wrapping all the way around, it only lays across the top. The effect was still SO cute and these poppers were a HIT! The perfect amount of crunch and the perfect amount of spicy and cheese! YUM!
Here’s what you need:
GLUTEN FREE ‘MUMMY’ JALAPEÑO POPPERS
Prep Time: 20 Minutes // Total Time: 30 Minutes
Here’s What You Need:
12 Jalapeno Peppers [cut into halves length-wise, pits/seeds removed]
8 ounces of Cream Cheese
8 ounces of Pepper Jack Cheese [shredded]
1 Scallion [minced]
2 cloves of garlic [minced]
2 eggs [beaten]
1 Gluten Free Pizza Crust [I buy mine frozen and let it thaw out thoroughly before]
Candy eyeballs [I bought mine on Amazon]
- Preheat oven 400° F. In a bowl, mix the cream cheese, scallion and garlic until well blended. Add the pepper jack cheese and continue to mix. Set aside.
- Taking a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut the pizza crust into thin strips, about half an inch thick and 3-6 inches long. Continue cutting until the crust is gone.
- Fill each jalepeño half with the cheese garlic mixture. [It’s easiest to use your hands.]
- Piece by piece, run the dough under a bit of water, softening it and lay it across the tops of the jalapeños. You may have to cut the pieces to extend the length of the jalapeño. Lay the pieces of dough across the entire jalapeño popper, saving room for the eyes. Brush with the beaten eggs and place on baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and press the candy eyes into the cheese where the opening is.