20 Nov Thanksgiving Recipe // Gluten Free Cornbread Dressing
The Thanksgiving meal is BY FAR my favorite thing to eat in the whole, wide world. So, you can imagine the sadness I felt when November came along the year that I was diagnosed with Gluten Intolerance… I’m actually, pretty sure I cried. Like, y’all… tears were legit shed. It was a culmination of frustration that I couldn’t eat whatever I wanted anymore and sadness that I couldn’t fully experience my favorite meal in its entirety!
As a child, I would make our Thanksgiving meal with my grandmother, who taught me all of our longstanding family recipes. It was my favorite part of the holiday! 6 years ago, I was diagnosed with a Gluten Intolerance and it transformed my life. I now focus on eating clean and natural and, of course, gluten free! But I still love Thanksgiving dressing, cranberry sauce, macaroni and cheese casserole and green bean casserole! I decided to create a way for others like me to enjoy a gourmet Thanksgiving meal without the worry of gluten contamination. I have adapted all of my grandmother’s recipes (and added a few of my own) to make this meal all-natural and gluten free!
This Gluten Free Cornbread Dressing is adapted from my great grandmother’s original recipe. This is, quite possibly, my favorite thing to eat in the entire world. My first Thanksgiving spent after my diagnosis, I hated leaving this off my plate the most. So, I went home with her recipe and attempted to make my own, gluten free version. After many tries, I’ve perfected her recipe and now my own family can’t tell the difference!
GLUTEN FREE CORNBREAD DRESSING
Prep Time: 25 mins // Cook Time: 30 mins // Yields: 12 servings
Here’s what you need:
Two Packages of Gluten Free Cornbread [I use Bob’s Red Mill Cornbread Mix and I double the recipe on the back of the bag]
4 Pieces of Gluten Free Bread
1 Bunch of Green Onions [thinly sliced]
3 Stalks of Celery [chopped]
1 Cup All-Natural, unpasteurized Butter
1 Large Container of Organic, Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Bake the 2 packages of GF cornbread
- Toast the 4 pieces of GF bread until very brown
- Saute the celery and onions in 1 cup of butter until tender
- Break up the cornbread and the GF toast in a large bowl with your hands [this is my favorite part]
- Whisk together the eggs until well blended and pour over the bread mixture
- Add the celery, onions and butter and mix well with a potato masher until well-blended
- Add broth in 1/2 cup segments until the mixture is very moist, but not wet… You don’t want it to be too dry or watered down either and continue mashing/mixing with the masher
- Add salt and pepper to taste, continue mixing
- Add sage [go crazy with it… I use almost a half-bottle every time!] and continue mixing
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden-brown. The insides should be well baked and not wet
I hope you all enjoy this recipe! Let me know if you try it this Thanksgiving!
***Photos by the VERY talented Kristen Dee Photography***