30 Apr Chia Seed Pudding // Paleo Recipe
When it comes to sticking to a lifestyle of eating clean and healthy, I think it’s incredibly important to have easy recipes that allow you to have options that are healthy, yet make you feel like you’re indulging. This chia seed pudding recipe does just that! It’s dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar free and completely paleo, yet it tastes so, incredibly good! Chia seeds are are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, high in antioxidants, and chalk-full of calcium, fiber and iron! Those omega-3 fatty acids are incredibly important and actually hard to come by! They help raise your good cholesterol… you know, the one that protects against heart attacks and strokes, so I’m thinking this pudding may be magical in nature!
It’s incredibly easy to make, too, and can be modified to be whatever dessert you’re looking to experience. Want a chocolate pudding? Add Cacao powder. Cinnamon would we yummy with this, too! Topping this pudding with almonds, cinnamon and [if you’re feeling like being a bit rebellious] brown sugar will make this pudding a great oatmeal-type of breakfast food! I love fresh fruit, and this time of year, I find myself craving chia seed pudding topped with my favorite berries! The best part? My little boy loves it! Healthy eating disguised as dessert AND my kid will eat it? WIN. WIN. WIN. WIN.
When it comes to making this chia seed pudding, it’s important to allow it to stand in the fridge long enough to thicken. If you don’t allow it enough time, it’ll be runny… that’s not as yummy! The chia seeds expand and, almost explode, making a thick pudding-like consistency that tastes way better than it sounds, I swear!
Here’s the recipe:
- 6 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 2 cups of vanilla coconut milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey
- Fruit of choice for toppings [I used mango, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries]
- In a mason jar, mix together the chia seeds, milk, honey and vanilla extract.
- Once combined, let it sit for a few minutes, then give it one more good stir. Cover the mixture and place it in the fridge for a minimum of two hours.
- Once it has set, top with your favorite fruit and enjoy!