27 Aug Give Your Workday a Healthy Makeover
Pop quiz: What do we spend the most time doing as we’re “adulting” every day? If you said working then *ding ding ding* you’re correct. 😊
No matter where you fall on the spectrum of loving or not loving your job – you can benefit from sprinkling health and happiness into your workday. Think about your week so far as you were managing your team, catching planes for client meetings, and/or efficiently wrapping up a project to submit on time… when did wellness cross your mind? Does that sound annoyingly impossible to you right now or is it something you’re craving? Whichever camp you’re in, I totally understand and want to offer some easy ways to make wellness moments happen throughout your workday. Because no matter what fills our workdays, we need to take care of ourselves. When you take care of YOU, you can better take care of business.
The National Wellness Institute promotes six dimensions of wellness: emotional, occupational, physical, spiritual, intellectual, and social. Here are suggestions from each dimension to help give your workday (and week) a healthy boost:
- Check your stress level – take a deep breath, step away from the computer for a
second, get some fresh air. Do whatever you need to do for a moment of stress relief.
2) Be intentional about exercising some emotional intelligence in your next meeting.
- Satisfaction check – are you feeling satisfied and fulfilled in the work that you do? If
so, jot down what’s going well for a boost when you need it. If not, what can help make it better?
- Take advantage of any programs your company offers or conferences coming up to
sharpen your knowledge, skills, and abilities in your field.
1) Keep a fun reusable water bottle at your desk to ensure you’re hydrated all day long.
2} Prioritize a lunchtime or afternoon walk to come back refreshed and end the day
- Take a moment to pray before you turn your computer on in the morning. Allow Him
to set the tone and intentions for your day ahead.
- Keep a notepad at your desk and write down 3 things you’re grateful for, set your
intentions for the day, or list the values that will guide your day each morning to keep you grounded.
- Raise your hand to work on an upcoming project that you know you’ll love and learn a lot.
- Hop on that webinar (or register to catch the replay) that your job offers about your 401K, industry best practices, or any other beneficial topics that are offered.
- Compliment a colleague and cheer on your work bestie today. Nice social touchpoints throughout the day make work so much more pleasurable! Maybe do lunch?
- Sign up to volunteer at the company/neighborhood service project or donate what you can to a local cause that you’re passionate about.
As you can see, there are so many ways that you can focus on doing excellent work while also paying attention to your wellbeing. The same principles apply if your corporate job is work-from-home or you’re an entrepreneur. Remix them to meet your context and needs.
With six dimensions of wellness, there’s truly something for everyone to tend to. The daily grind gets so busy and it’s easy to neglect self-care in our jobs. But that’s when it matters most! I hope these ideas spark more within you and these micro workday makeovers help you start feeling and functioning better from the inside out.