26 Oct Grain-Free Halloween Jack-O-Lantern Mac ‘N Cheese // Kid-Friendly Recipe
Halloween is one of those holidays I remember LOVING as a child! one of the things my mom was great about was making each season so special and celebrated in our home. Now that I’m a mom, myself, I really appreciate the effort she took to help us enjoy each season’s fun. Even though B is still small, I want him to start to see that this time of year is special, so this recipe is something I’m super excited to share with y’all! This is an easy way to incorporate the season into lunch or dinner to make the meal just that much more fun! It’s easy to do and I know your babies will LOVE it! PLUS, I’m going to share with you my favorite grain-free version so that you can serve this yummy meal with more protein for your little one! So, without further ado, here’s a recipe for grain-free Halloween Jack-O-Lantern mac ‘n cheese!
All you need is your favorite mac n cheese recipe, some clear, plastic cups and a sharpie! That’s it! If you want to make it grain-free, I suggest using Banza. This company makes pasts out of chickpeas, so they’re gluten free, grain free and full of protein! PLUS, They taste great and cook a lot faster than regular noodles! I’m about to try out some dairy free mac ‘n cheese recipes to see if I can make this even healthier, but for today, I’m happy to use the cheese that comes in their mac ‘n cheese box! YUM!
GRAIN-FREE HALLOWEEN JACK-O-LANTERN MAC ‘N CHEESE
Prep Time: 20 minutes // Total Time: 20 minutes // Serves: 3 child portions
Here’s what you need:
3 clear, plastic cups
Small green fork OR a green vegetable like zucchini, cucumber or a pickle for the ‘stem’
Your go-to Macaroni ‘N Cheese recipe [I use Banza Chickpea Mac ‘N Cheese for grain-free goodness]
- Make your macaroni and cheese according to your favorite recipe or according to the directions on the box of Banza.
- While the water is boiling, take the cups and draw a Jack-O-Lantern face on the surface of each where the macaroni and cheese will be.
- Cut out small pieces of the cucumber/pickle or zucchini to create a ‘stem’
- When the macaroni is done, let it cool a little bit and pour servings into the cups and top with the ‘stems’.
- Serve your kiddos their own, personal grain-free halloween jack-o-lantern mac ‘n cheese!
Make this for dinner and, trust me… your little one will be tickled pink… or orange! Also… don’t serve this to kids in their costumes… they may or may not end up covered in macaroni and cheese!
Happy Halloween! Enjoy this time with your littlest pumpkins! It’s so special!