25 Oct Healthier Alternatives to Halloween Candy // Treats for the Sweet-Tooth
If you’re anything like me, Halloween is just the start of a season where making healthy choices gets harder and harder to do! When you’re surrounded by Halloween candy, it’s virtually impossible to ignore the craving to indulge… and then indulge again… and again… and… again. No wonder we alway choose ‘eat healthy’ as our New Year’s Resolution! [You can read about my NYR for 2016 here]. This year, I want to have better options to snack on than binge-eating Reeses and Butterfingers for days. So, I’m sharing with you my favorite ways to indulge this season. Here are some healthier alternatives to halloween candy!
The goal with these is to still indulge, but instead, give yourself something that will fill your belly faster [like the Halloween Bark or the Sugar Skull Mini Cakes] and choose ingredients that aren’t processed or full of high-fructose corn syrup. Now, I’m all about the rule of 80/20… try living 80% clean and allow yourself some grace for the other 20%. So, you’ll see I’ve mixed in a few of those Halloween classics that I can’t imagine the holiday without.
Monster-Mash Chex Mix
This is, quite possibly, one of my all-time favorite snacks during the season! I make it every year! I start with a base of The Mix by Unrefined Bakery, my favorite Gluten-Free and all-natural bakery in town. It’s their version of Chex Mix. From there, I add in Gluten Free Pretzels, Caramel Corn, Honey-Roasted Peanuts and Candy Corn and voila! It’s the perfect, sweet-and-salty mix for snacking! This is an easy and festive treat to toss into a lunchbox or serve at your fall party!
Here’s what you need:
The Mix [available for shipping]
2 Cups Gluten Free Pretzels
2 Cups Caramel Popcorn [I use Skinny Pop]
1 Bag of All-Natural Candy Corn
2 Cups Honey-Roasted Peanuts [Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s has good quality, natural versions of these!]
- Add ingredients to The Mix as you see fit.
- Stir and serve
Halloween Candy Bark
Okay, so this option is a little less healthy, but it’s filling and rich, so you won’t be tempted to eat and eat and eat, like you will with candy. I do love this Halloween Bark, though. It’s easy to make and is always a hit! Plus, the candies inside the bark are healthier alternatives to halloween candy that you typically see!
Here’s what you need:
1 bag of All-Natural, White Chocolate Morsels
Gluten Free Chocolate cookies [similar to Oreo’s], crumbled
Gluten Free Pretzels, broken into small pieces
1 bag of All-Natural version of Reeses Pieces [I use these from Unreal Sweets]
1 bag of All-Natural Candy Corn
1 container of Candy Eyes
- In a double boiler or according to the instructions on the bag, melt the white chocolate
- Pour the white chocolate onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper, making sure it’s evenly distributed across the sheet
- Starting with Oreos and pretzels, add the other ingredients by placing them randomly into the chocolate
- Finish with the candy eyes and sprinkles
- Refrigerate the bark for at least 1 hour
- Before serving, remove the bark from the fridge and break it into pieces, about 3 inches thick
Sugar Skull Mini Cakes
These can be as simple as you choose to make them. You can make the chocolate cake from scratch, or if you’re in a rush like I was, buy a box of Gluten Free Devils Food Cake Mix. Whole Foods has some great options! The goal is that one little cake will fill you up more than a bag of candies will and, although you’re indulging, you’ll eat a smaller amount of sugar! So while it’s not all that healthy, it provides some healthier alternatives to halloween candy binging!
Here’s what you need:
This Mini Skull cakelet pan from Williams-Sonoma
Gluten Free Devil’s Food Cake batter [do this part however you see fit!]
Coconut Oil Cooking Spray
All-Natural, Vanilla Icing
- Preheat the oven according to your cake recipe and spray the pan well with coconut oil spray
- Once you’ve made the cake batter, pour the batter evenly into the skull shapes of the pan
- Bake the cakes according to the recipe
- Once the cakes are done, let them cool for at least an hour
- Place the icing in a piping bag and decorate the skull cakes with flowers and patterns
Still want candy but hate the processed sugar they come with? Here are my favorite candies that are made with real ingredients and give you and your family better options!
BETTER CANDY CHOICES:
These three companies are the best at making all-natural candies! Looking for something yummy to serve to trick-or-treaters [or snack on, yourself] that won’t fill you with total junk? Here are my picks:
They make awesome lollypops! Check them out!
I have my eyes on the chocolate gems [mentioned above] and their peanut butter cups!
Thanks, again to Kristen Dee Photography for the photos! I hope you all have a safe and fun Halloween, filled with quality treats and amazing memories!