18 Nov Thanksgiving Recipe // Gluten Free Macaroni & Cheese Casserole
The Thanksgiving meal is BY FAR my favorite thing to eat in the whole, wide world. So, you can imagine the sadness I felt when November came along the year that I was diagnosed with Gluten Intolerance… I’m actually, pretty sure I cried. Like, y’all… tears were legit shed. It was a culmination of frustration that I couldn’t eat whatever I wanted anymore and sadness that I couldn’t fully experience my favorite meal in its entirety!
As a child, I would make our Thanksgiving meal with my grandmother, who taught me all of our longstanding family recipes. It was my favorite part of the holiday! 6 years ago, I was diagnosed with a Gluten Intolerance and it transformed my life. I now focus on eating clean and natural and, of course, gluten free! But I still love Thanksgiving dressing, cranberry sauce, macaroni and cheese casserole and green bean casserole! I decided to create a way for others like me to enjoy a gourmet Thanksgiving meal without the worry of gluten contamination. I have adapted all of my grandmother’s recipes (and added a few of my own) to make this meal all-natural and gluten free!
Some dishes I cheat on and use some helpful additions to make the madness of cooking a feast a little bit easier, while other dishes I make from scratch. This Macaroni and Cheese Casserole is one of the ‘cheat’ meals. I use Annie’s Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese Mix to start, which makes the process just THAT much easier! So, without further ado… this is my gluten free take on a classic favorite!
GLUTEN FREE MACARONI AND CHEESE CASSEROLE
Prep Time: 15 mins // Cook Time: 30-45 mins // Yields: 12 servings
Here’s what you need:
3 Boxes of Annie’s Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese [or enough to serve 6 people]
1 1/2 cup All-Natural Sour Cream
2 cups Gluten Free Bread Crumbs [separated]
2 cups Organic 3-Blend Shredded Cheese [separated]
2 Tbs cayenne pepper [to make it mild, paprika gives the same red tint to the dish]
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Make the Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese according to the directions on the box
- Pour the Macaroni and Cheese into a greased baking dish
- Add the sour cream 1 cup of the shredded cheese and stir until combined
- sprinkle with salt, pepper and cayenne [a very small amount] and mix slightly
- Pour in 1 cup of GF bread crumbs and mix well, then spread a good layer the other cup on the top of the macaroni
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden-brown
- Take the dish out of the oven and pour the remainder of the cheese on top. Place back in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Add a small sprinkle of the cayenne pepper to the top of the macaroni to garnish
I hope you all enjoy this recipe! Let me know if you try it this Thanksgiving!
***Photos by the VERY talented Kristen Dee Photography***